Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
5329 Sennott Square
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- Our paper (Y. Xue, M. Hauskrecht) on active learning of multi-class classifiers from ordered class set feedback has been accepted to AAAI 2019.
- Our paper (S. Liu, A. Wright, M. Hauskrecht) on anomaly detection for Rule-count time series was accepted for publication in Artificial Intelligence in Medicine journal.
MS in Computer Science, Department of Computer Science, Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia, May 1988.
PhD in Computer Science, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, August 1997.
The main areas of my research interest are: machine learning and data mining; time series modeling and analysis; and, planning and optimization in the presence of uncertainty. The majority of my research work is driven by biomedical informatics problems. More specifically, my current work focuses on the development of modern machine learning technologies for analysis of
high dimensional time-series data in electronic health record (EHR), and their application to real-time adverse event detection, and real-time clinical monitoring and alerting.
Current research funding:
- NIH/NIGMS R01GM088224. R01 Real-time detection of deviations in clinical care in ICU data streams (Principal Investigator)
- NIH/NLM R01LM011966. Improving Clinical Decision Support Reliability Using Anomaly Detection Methods (PI: Adam Wright, Partners Healthcare, Milos serves as a UPitt PI)
- NIH/NLM. Learning Electronic Medical Record. (PI: Shyam Visweswaran, Milos is a co-investigator)
Teaching Fall 2018:
Current PhD students
Former PhD students:
- Branislav Kveton,
PhD Fall 2006 ( thesis link),
senior research scientist, Adobe Corp, CA
- Tomas Singliar,
PhD Fall 2008 ( thesis link),
senioer data scientist, Microsoft Research, WA
- Richard Pelikan,
PhD Spring 2011 (
thesis link), postdoc, USC, CA
- Michal Valko,
PhD Summer 2011 (
thesis link), research scientist, INRIA France
- Iyad Batal,
PhD October 2012 (
thesis link), software engineer, Microsoft, CA.
- Saeed Amizadeh, PhD Fall 2013, research scientist, Microsoft Research, WA.
- Quang Nguyen , PhD Spring 2014, ( thesis link) research scientist, Siemens Research.
- Eric Heim , PhD Fall 2015, research scientist, USAF Rome Lab
- Zitao Liu , PhD Summer 2016, research scientist, Pinterest
- CharmGil Hong, PhD Fall 2017, postdoc, University of Pittsburgh
- Lei Wu, 2011-2012, currently a Data Science Manager at Ancestry.com
- Hamed Valizadegan, 2010-2013, currently at
NASA Research, CA
- Iyad Batal, 2012-2013, currently at Microsoft, CA
Past courses taught:
- Yanbing Xue, MS, Fall 2014
- David Krebs, MS, Fall 2011
- Eric Heim, MS, Fall 2010
- Adi Nemlekar, MSc, Summer 2007
- Jose Nunez-Varela, MSc, Spring 2006
- Aaron Cois, MSc, Spring 2006
- Xinghua Lu, MSc, 2004
- Elizabeth Clause, MSc
- Gregory Nilsen, MSc
- CS 1571
Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (Fall 2013, 2012, 2010, 2007, 2006, 2003, 2002, 2001)
- CS 1675
Introduction to Machine Learning
- CS 441 Discrete mathematics for Computer
Science ( Spring 2006, Spring 2005, Fall 2004)
- CS 2710 Foundations of Artificial
Intelligence (Fall 2005, Fall 2004)
- CS 3710 Probabilistic Graphical Models
(Advanced Topics in AI) (Fall 2005)
Machine Learning (
Spring 2010 ,
Spring 2007 ,
Spring 2004 , Spring 2003)
- CS 3750
Advanced Machine Learning (Fall 2007)
- CS 2740 Knowledge Representation
(Fall 2008, Spring 2007)
CS 2001 Research topics in Computer
Science. Module: Bayesian belief
networks (Fall 2002, Fall 2001)
Last updated by milos on 09/15/16.