Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30PM to 10:45 PM
5313 Sennott Square
Rami Melhem (firstname.lastname@example.org)
6137 Sennott Squarre
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:45:00 to 12:30
Introduction to Parallel Computing, Second Edition
by Ananth Grama, Anshul Gupta, George Karypis and Vipin Kumar
Chip Multiprocessor Architecture: Techniques to Improve Throughput and Latency
by Kunle Olukotun, Lance Hammond, and James Laudon
Publisher: Morgan & Claypool
Parallel Computer Architecture: A Hardware-Software Approach
by David Culler and Jaswinder P. Singh, with Anoop Gupta Tanenbaum
Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann
Priciples of Parallel Programming
by Calvin Lin and Lawrence Snyder
Requirements and grading:
Three assignments 25%
- Definitions, models of computation, architecture models,
performance measures, simple parallel algorithms, ...
Introduction to Parallel Programing
- Message passing, shared memory, task and data parallelism, ..
Programing Parallel Machines
- Pthreads, MPI, OpenMP, UPC, Map-reduce, ...
- Topologies, control, routing, communication efficiency and cost, ..
Shared Memory Multiprocessors
- UMA and NUMA architectures, snooping and directory-based cache coherence, synchronization, ...
- Architecture, communication, resource and power management, latency tolerance, CMP simulators, ...
- task scheduling and mapping, load balancing,
Flash, Parsec, ...
Efficient parallel algorithms
- Sorting, matrix algorithms, FFT, ...
We will be using PSC machines
(both SMP and MPP) as programming platforms.
To get an account on the PSC machines, email the following information
to Karen at email@example.com.
Address (Full U.S. mail address)