Welcome to CS 0131, Software for Personal Computing, for the Spring 2013 term.
Lectures: Mon/Wed/Fri, 9:00–9:50am
Classroom: Sennott Square 5502
Section: 1090 CRN: 20290
There is no recitation section for this course.
Timothy J Parenti
Office: Sennott Square 6404
Office Phone: 412-624-9129
Mailbox: 288 (on the fifth floor of Sennott Square)
Email: [click to reveal email]
Office Hours: Mon/Wed/Fri, 9:50–11:00am; Thu, 11:00am–1:30pm; and by appointment
You can download the syllabus or view the course schedule.
- Mon 22 Apr 2013, 18:06 — I have posted a topics list to help you prepare for Exam 2. This list is neither comprehensive nor complete. You should also review past labs and the daily topics listed on the Course Schedule as well as both projects.
- Fri 19 Apr 2013, 15:38 — There will be an optional review session for Exam 2 on Monday 22 April 2013, 6:15–7:15pm in the Seminar Room, Sennott Square 5317.
- Tue 16 Apr 2013, 17:31 — My modified office hours during finals week will be 11:00am–12:45pm on Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 April 2013 only.
- Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:16 — Exam 2, covering Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Access, will be held on Tuesday 23 April 2013 at 2:00pm in Sennott Square 5502, in accordance with the University’s final exam schedule. Please bring your student identification card to the exam.
- Mon 15 Apr 2013, 08:28 — Project 4 is now posted to the Projects page. It has three components covering Microsoft Access and is due Sunday 21 April 2013 at 11:59pm EDT.
- Fri 5 Apr 2013, 10:32 — Scaled Exam 1 grades have been posted to CourseWeb and the Bonus Assignment is now available. You may submit up to six (6) tutorials, worth up to 10 points of bonus toward your final grade. All submissions are due Sunday 21 April 2013 at 11:59pm EDT.
- Mon 1 Apr 2013, 10:17 — The Office of Measurement and Evaluation of Teaching (OMET) have sent out email notifications for the Student Opinion of Teaching Survey. Please give this anonymous survey your fullest attention, as I will use the comments and ratings to help improve my teaching in the future. The deadline to complete these surveys is Friday 19 April 2013.
- Sun 24 Mar 2013, 13:51 — To accommodate presentations, my office hours for Thursday 28 and Friday 29 March 2013 will be cancelled. I will instead hold office hours on Tuesday 26 March 2013, 11:00am–1:30pm.
- Thu 21 Mar 2013, 20:10 — Signups for individual presentation appointments begin at 10:00am EDT on Friday 22 March 2013. Presentations will be held on Thursday 28 and Friday 29 March 2013 in Sennott Square 6516.
- Wed 20 Mar 2013, 08:26 — Project 3 is now posted to the Projects page. It is in two parts covering Microsoft PowerPoint and is due Tuesday 26 March 2013 at 11:59pm EDT.
- Mon 4 Mar 2013, 11:46 — Exam 1 grades were posted to CourseWeb this morning. Thank you to all who participated in the discussion in class today for your comments.
- Wed 20 Feb 2013, 15:33 — I have posted a topics list to help you prepare for Exam 1. This list is neither comprehensive nor complete. You should also review past labs and the daily topics listed on the Course Schedule as well as both projects.
- Tue 19 Feb 2013, 01:15 — Project 2 is now posted to the Projects page. It is in three parts covering Microsoft Excel and is due Thursday 28 February 2013 at 11:59pm EST.
- Tue 12 Feb 2013, 14:56 — My regularly scheduled office hours for Wednesday 13 February 2013 are cancelled and I will be unavailable for appointments that day. Regular office hours will resume from Thursday 14 February 2013.
- Tue 12 Feb 2013, 08:54 — Exam 1, covering Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, will be held on Friday 22 February 2013 at 9:00am in Sennott Square 5502. Please bring your student identification card to the exam.
- Wed 6 Feb 2013, 14:36 — There has been some confusion over the lab submission policy. To clarify, labs are to be done in class, but the submission form remains open for a limited time after class to allow students who run out of time to complete them at home with prior authorization. If you are absent from a lab without a prior excuse, however, you cannot receive credit for submissions.
- Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:30 — Project 1 is now posted to the Projects page. It is in three parts covering Microsoft Word and is due Tuesday 5 February 2013 at 11:59pm EST.
- Sun 13 Jan 2013, 15:48 — The rest of my office hours for the term have been finalized and will begin on Monday 14 January 2013. Also, the Spring 2013 hours for the CS Help Desk in Sennott Square 5710 have been posted and will begin on Monday 14 January 2013.
- Wed 9 Jan 2013, 15:37 — I’ve put up a course schedule page which will have some basic information on the topics we have covered during each lecture.
- Mon 7 Jan 2013, 10:08 — The Pre-Term Survey is now posted to CourseWeb; it is due Tuesday 8 January 2013 at 11:59pm. The survey is ungraded; however, participation is required. Remember that this is meant to gauge what you already know; skip questions if you don’t honestly know the answer.
- Sun 6 Jan 2013, 21:49 — The course syllabus is now posted. See you in class tomorrow!
- Fri 4 Jan 2013, 20:06 — Welcome to CS 0131. Our first class will meet on Monday 7 January 2013 at 9:00am in Sennott Square 5502. See you then!
©2013, Timothy J Parenti. All rights reserved. All times are US Eastern Time.
All materials provided for this course are protected by copyright. United States copyright law, 17 USC § 101, et seq., in addition to University policy and procedures, prohibit unauthorized duplication or retransmission of course materials. This applies to all class notes, slides, assignments, solutions, project descriptions, quiz and exam materials, etc. You are allowed (and indeed, expected) to use all provided material for personal academic use. However, you are strictly prohibited from sharing any materials with others in general and from posting the material on the Web or other file-sharing venues in particular.